McMaster University’s history
Historically, McMaster University is the result of educational work initiated by Baptists in central Canada have been 1830’s. Name of the Senator William McMaster (1811-1887), who bequeathed substantial sums to provide “Christian school of learning”, the University was incorporated under the operating conditions of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1887. New University (located McMaster Hall in Toronto) offered courses in art and theology. Title began in 1890, with a first degree awarded in 1894.
In 1930, the university moved from Toronto to Milton, 41 academic session opening this site. Land and buildings of the new university secured through gifts adults, members of Baptist churches conference of Ontario and Quebec, and citizens of Hamilton.
By the year 1957, the Trustees of the University were selected by the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec. That same year, the university became a private institution non-religious. Historic Baptist connection continued through the separate incorporation and affiliation of a theological school, McMaster Divinity College.
According to the law of the McMaster 1968-69 College McMaster Divinity continued under its existing arrangement, but the rest of the university was organized divisions of the arts, sciences and health sciences, headed by each Vice President (Academic).
In 1974 the structure of the university’s Division was dissolved and vice presidents were replaced by a single Vice-President (Academic), now called Provost and Vice President (Academic). Faculties of business, engineering, health sciences, humanities, sciences, social sciences and saved, each under the leadership of Dean.
The corporation made from up to 37 governors. Academic work is managed by the University Senate, composed of representatives of the teaching and administrative staff, trustees, students and alumni. University funded by the Holy income, gifts, fees, and grants years from Hamilton, Hamilton Area – Wentworth, Ontario, and the Canadian government.